Enterprising women and Think Beyond
Think Beyond attended the IoD North West Enterprising Women Conference in Manchester on 17th October 2019. It was a great event for enterprising women and our founder went along to find out more. We have summarised the key themes from the event in a handy FAQ style.
First half of women in enterprise
- Claire Ebrey, Regional Director, IoD North West and Isle of Man – kicked off the conference
- Main highlight: The IoD Academy Director Competency Framework – as an important tool for directors and boards, defining the distinct and wide-ranging competences required for effective leadership.
- Putting knowledge of finance and business strategy on the same level as ethical decision-making, effective communication and the encouragement of diverse views the framework sets the standard for professional practice for directors.
- Heather Wright, conference host, take the best from the conference techniques
- Main highlight: Acknowledge, Analyse, Assimilate and Apply.
- Jenny Garrett, Managing Director at Reflexion Associates Ltd – talked about the change of mindset
- Main highlight: Making change happen YOUR way by visualising your goals, keep your promises and develop exquisite connections.
- Rachel Clacher CBE, Co-Founder & Director at Moneypenny – what you can do with a big idea
- Main highlight: Work with companies that you know and trust.
- Ask the ‘perfect world’ question to your customers to open their minds on what they REALLY want.
- Maura Jackson, CEO at BACKUP North West – talked about authentic leadership, aligning your purpose and personality
- Main highlight: “Pressure can burst a pipe or pressure can make a diamond”.
- Marian Sudbury from Department for International Trade, Dr Marnie Millard OBE from Harvey Nichols PLC and Diana Mather from The English Manner – talked about exporting
- Working with new people changes you and your business.
- When exporting – find the right partner.
- Danny Simpson, CEO from MID Communications – talked about the future of us
- Main highlight: Technology disruption and the importance of adapting.
Second half of enterprising women
- Dr Nighat Awan OBE, CEO at Shere Khan Group – talked about turning a crisis into an opportunity
- Main highlight: Always have something solid behind you.
- Alice Larkin, Professor of Climate & Energy Policy at University of Manchester talked about climate change, the greatest leadership challenge of our generation
- Mike Blackburn OBE from IoD North West, Dr Robina Shah MBE JP DL at Greater Manchester Lieutenancy and Marie Mohan from Common Purpose UK talked about Influencing beyond your authority – driving regional change
- Enterprising Women 2019 – conference close
Why Think Beyond marketing advice matters
Think Beyond is a marketing consultancy agency based in Wilmslow, Cheshire. We offer professional marketing advice to help with marketing strategy, lead generation and marketing support services. We are members of the IoD North West and CIM Chartered Marketers.
Also, for a free one-hour initial consultation with a marketing expert, please fill in our contact form and we will contact you.